Astounding Life Lessons I've Learned From Catherine Called 'Birdy'


This was a borrowed book from my churchmate who owns a tutorial center. She posted this in Facebook and recommended as a good book to read, and I guess it was enough to make me curios. This wasn't a newly published book; in fact it was released way back in 1994. A historical fiction, this book contains information about the food, clothes, religious beliefs, manners, health, medical practices, and sanitary habits of the medieval people. 


Catherine (the main character), was compelled by his brother to write a diary because he believes that in the process it will make her more mature and less childish. Writing the routines of her young life, she relates many details and facts about her time period. She looks upon the world around her, write stories about the people she knew and of the daily events of their small manor house. Catherine was the daughter of a minor English nobleman, this makes her feel trapped learning how to be a lady and accepting an arranged wedding set by her father (which was crucial during those times and basically seen as a business deal).


Aside from the fact that it inspired me to regularly journal my thoughts; it has many astounding lessons you and I should consider. Here are some good points I've jotted down:


  • In the world to come you will not be asked why you were not this or that, but why you were not yourself.
  • Do not be like the stupid man. Know where you yourself are. How? By knowing who you are and where you come from. Just as a river by night shines with the reflected light of the moon; so too do you shine with the light of your family, your people, and your God.
  • Flap your wings at times, choose your fights carefully, get things done, understand your limitations, trust in God and a few people.
  • Women should be mild and meek, swift to hear and slow to speak.
  • Marriage is what you make it. Patience, gentleness and a willing heart will make the most of any union.
  • I can do what I must and still be me, still survive and thrive.
  • I cannot escape my life but can only use my determination and courage to make it the best I can.
There is also a note which struck me the most, "You are so much already Little Bird. Why not cease your fearful pounding against the bars of your cage and be content?" I admit, there were times I'm so grumpy and complains about so many things instead of making the most of what I have and be grateful.

I hope this post inspired you today.Let's keep reading and learning! :) 


You may also want to read:
Why Our Thoughts Are Powerful and Sometimes Dangerous
A Humbling Experience in Dueg Resettlement and Why They Need Help

Popular posts from this blog

8 Essential Tips for New Mountaineers

The Obvious Reasons Why Pain Really Changes People

Discovering Mt. Semilya

Phenomenal "Free Fall" Base Jump Filmed On Breath-Hold In The Deepest Blue Hole In The World!