Skip to main content

How To Tell If Freelancing Is Right For You?


For the past five years of my freelancing career I received more than a handful of questions about it from several professionals. Questions about how to do it, what things to consider, and if it's actually worth the risk.
Currently, I can say that it turned out just what I wanted it to be. It's awesome being my own boss, and being able to choose what I want to work on. I'm able to pay my bills, worked on flexible schedules, etcetera. I have no regrets taking the leap from the corporate world to being a nomadic freelancer.
But where I am now, as a freelancer, is the result of the prices I've paid because honestly, freelancing is not all about backpacking and chasing sunsets. Every (successful) freelancer has a story to tell about handwork, perseverance, determination, and sticking around despite of all the detours along the way.

So, here are some questions you may want to consider asking yourself before jumping in.


What is your why?


Sorry to pop your bubbles, but freelancing is not for the faint-hearted. I had my share of disappointments, rejections, and discouragements (even from friends and families) during my first year. And I'm sure almost all freelancers had experienced it too. But what will help you stick around is your inner desire why you have to stay and make it work.
I quit the corporate world because I'm that type who can't stand routine. I wanted to find my passion and pursue it. I wanted to do creative work. At the same time, I wanted to travel as often as opportunity knocks on my door. I know I cannot do it if I'm employed with a fixed schedule and a limited number of vacation leave. I also wanted to recover from my OC kind of "disorder" or should I say, hardworking perfectionism (if there is such a term). I just couldn't stop working until the job is done and with the best results possible. Nevertheless, the truth is, when you are employed the work doesn't stop when you send that EOD report. It just keeps on piling and it's very exhausting.

Unlike freelancing, you have the ability to control or be notified just how much work you need to do, stop there and get paid. Not to mention, you determine which work you are willing to do, when to do it, and for how much. Thus, it gives you an advantage to take further steps in pursuing your passion, the work you would love to do.
So, make sure you have a reason big enough to make your freelancing career a success and not just because you like the idea of it.

Are you independent enough to work alone?
Some clients provide training to new freelancers, but most of the time they won't. This is because clients have an expectation that you are an expert or have an experience doing the job. Some clients do some minimum supervision, but again, most of the time you do it alone.
Besides this, are you comfortable enough working alone? I mean physically alone? If you're a highly socialized individual or if you thrive working on a team, then this setup may not be right for you. Unless you find a way to counter this dilemma.

Do you have enough savings?
It's very important to honestly answer this question. You need to have a plan B, C and D when the money isn't coming in regularly. You need to know how your bills will be paid. You need to make sure you have enough food to keep your mind working and buy yourself a good cup of coffee.
The truth is, if you are just starting, not all clients are inclined to risk having a taste of your work. You will still need to build your portfolio and reputation, and so it's an illusion to think that money will come in pouring to the brim instantly.

Do you have a profitable expertise or skill?
While it may look like anyone can do freelance work, in the real world of freelancing there's a very tough competition. Not only your price should be right, but you have to be really good at something. An expert. A master.

Clients want experts not just workers. If you want to survive as a freelancer you need to know what kind of work you would love to do, and then be VERY GOOD doing it.

That's it! It's a short list, yet I assure you there are other things to consider too! Nonetheless I'm confident these four considerations are best to start with. 😉

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons Why Solo Traveling is Good For You

Most people think it's strange to travel alone to an unfamiliar place. Some will laugh at the idea and say it's only for people who do not have family and friends. Others completely shun the thought because they see it as no fun, dangerous, or expensive. People may think you're a weirdo, and I know the feeling when friends, family, and colleagues look at you intently and say, "Are you serious?" But for me, solo traveling is reserved for those courageous souls who not only wish to experience the beauty of nature but also want to better understand themselves through their journey. I believe spending time alone in an unfamiliar place is essential for the mind, body, and soul. I enjoy traveling alone as well as having companions; both allow me access to different experiences and life lessons. However, at some point in our lives, we should try to travel solo. Here are five reasons why I think everyone should try it. It tests our courage and h

3 Promises You Should Tell Yourself Now So You Can Start Moving Forward

Moving forward is easier said than done when you face the daily agony living in this sometimes harsh, reality called “life.” When you are constantly confronted to meet the expectations of the people around you—the incessant pressure at work, and the nagging demands of your partner, family, friends, and society—it’s really hard to keep your balance, to say the least. When you are regularly bombarded with crises, it’s a real challenge to keep yourself sane, moreover, have the time to evaluate the path you are taking. If you continually find yourself succumbing to the old challenges, stagnant and not challenging your present condition, you are not growing as an individual. And, not growing is not moving forward in life. You aren’t supposed to be a victim of your circumstances, your present reality. It’s just that you have let yourself be victimized by your inability to protest and call into question your decisions. You need to acknowledge the fact that you are a capable individua

7 Astounding Life Lessons I've Learned From Catherine, Called Birdy

Scoring two impressive children’s literature awards, this historical novel is without poverty of thought. Catherine, Called Birdy , written in diary format by Karen Cushman , bagged the Newbery Honor Book award in 1994 and also won the Golden Kite award in 1995. (Just a quick trivia, a Newbery award is considered one of the most prestigious awards for children’s literature in the US. While a Golden Kite award is being given annually to recognize excellence in children’s literature.) The author, Karen Cushman, is a historical fiction writer whose other novel, The Midwife’s Apprentice , also won the Newbery Medal for children’s literature. Karen Cushman has a bachelor’s degree in Greek and English; and a master’s degree in Human Behavior and Museum Studies. This isn't a newly published book though, in fact it was first released way back in 1994. So, you might ask: why am I so fascinated with this old book and a children’s book in particular? Well, this type of book was